With Remote Desktop on Windows XP Professional, you can have access to a Windows session that is running on your computer when you are at another computer. This means, for example, that you can connect to your work computer from home and have access to all of your applications, files, and network resources as though you were in front of your computer at work. You can leave programs running at work and when you get home, you can see your desktop at work displayed on your home computer, with the same programs running.
When you connect to your computer at work, Remote Desktop automatically locks that computer so no one else can access your applications and files while you are gone. When you come back to your computer at work, you can unlock it by typing CTRL+ALT+DEL.
Remote Desktop also allows more than one user to have active sessions on a single computer. This means that multiple users can leave their applications running and preserve the state of their Windows session even while others are logged on.
Basically ,remote desktop is same as TELNET however there is a protocol difference between the two.Moreover you might not get TELNET on all PC's.
Now to start using this service follow these steps:-
- Open control panel
- Click on Remote tab and check allow users to connect remotely.
- You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to enable the Remote Desktop feature.
- Next you have to configure your firewall setting :-
- In the Control Panel, click Security Center.
- Under Manage security settings for, click Windows Firewall.
- Make sure the Don't allow exceptions check box is not selected.
- Click the Exceptions tab, and verify that the Remote Desktop check box is selected.
- Click OK, and then close the Windows Security Center window.
Your host computer is now set up to allow remote access.
- Now its time to connect.Type MSTSC in run and press enter.
- Remote connection box will appear ,type the IP address of the PC you want to connect and then it will prompt you to enter username and password (the one which you enter while logging in ,which is of the PC you are trying to connect and not the PC you are on).
- You will be connected to the required PC.
Note:- You can also give computer name(check it from system in performance and settings) to connect to a PC in local network.
Warning:- Your ports should be open to use this service (first forward your ports) .Check if it works without it or not.